Wautoma Common Council approves bids for street and utility projects

During the June 8 regular Wautoma Common Council meeting, the council unanimously approved bids for the 2015 street and utility projects. 

Project A—Ste. Marie Street, Mt. Morris Avenue, and the corresponding parking lot received two bids, with the low bid going to Koplin & Kinas Co., Inc., Green Lake. 

Project B—Prairie Street Lift Station received one bid from PTS Contractors, Inc., Green Bay.  The total cost of both projects is $879,498.

MSA Professionals Physical Engineer Todd Trader was present at the meeting and explained to the council that the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) award is $500,000 and will fund 40.9 percent of the total project costs, which will be approximately $359,715, and the city would be responsible for the remaining $519,783. 

Any change orders or amendments to the project will also be funded with CDBG funds at 40.9 percent of the total, with the city paying the remaining 59.1 percent of the costs. The city may be able to use the excess CDBG funds on a future project already identified on the established list of projects, but would need to be used by June 6, 2016. 

Trader also stated the city already did a “borrowing resolution for $640,000, which will leave $120,000 leftover, but would be available if additional funds are needed for the project.”

The council also approved the MSA Professional Services Contract Amendment for construction administration/design and on-site observation during both of the projects, for $150,800, which is part of the total costs. 

Trader told the council that having an on-site observer has, in the past, “caught 99 out of 100 things” that may be done incorrectly or not finished properly. Trader gave an example of another community that didn’t have an on-site observer during a street project and as a result, the street was totally closed to traffic, whereas on-site observation would have made sure that one side of the street remained open to traffic during the project. 

Trader will work with the city to have a pre-construction meeting in June, with the projects starting in July. The Ste. Marie Street/Mt. Morris Ave./parking lot project is expected to be completed by the end of October, while the Prairie Street Lift Station project is expected to run into November.

  To view more, please log in or subscribe to the digital edition.