Redgranite awarded Community Development Block Grant
At the Aug. 15 Redgranite Village Board regular meeting, the board accepted a Community Development Block Grant for Public Facilities (CDBG-PF) for up to $500,000 for the water tower and well-house projects, awarded by the Wisconsin Department of Administration.
MSA Professionals rep-resentative Randy Herwig, who assisted the village with their CDBG-PF application in May 2016, congratulated the village, stating they were one of 38 Wisconsin communities to be awarded the grant funds.
Herwig addressed the board in May of 2016, stating that the deadline for the CDBG-PF grant was May 30 and the deadline for the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources Safe Drinking Water Loan was June 1; he also assisted the village with the application for the DNR loan funding. So far Herwig has not received information on the status of the Safe Drinking Water Loan.
In other business, the board:
• Approved a requested water rate increase of $16,736 (7%), submitted to the Public Service Commission (PSC), although the PSC recommended a water rate increase of $27,580 (12%). Several board members expressed concern about residents paying higher water rates.
• Approved Four Way Construction to repair culverts and sidewalks on Thackery and Main Streets, at a cost of $8,339.05 and to purchase and install a new sanitary manhole on Thackery Street, at a cost of $4,490.
• Approved hiring Eugene Fink as a part-time public works employee for the village.
• Following discussion, tabled setting proposed penalties in the FOG Ordinance (rules to regulate fats, oils, and grease, as well as soil/sand, lint traps, and interceptors). This was tabled until Village Attorney Joan Olson reviews the fine/penalty proposals.
• Approved obtaining sealed proposals for a copy machine and program software and hardware for village clerk’s office, using TID funds.
• Approved a three-year service agreement with ITU Absorb Tech.