Wild Rose remembers the Wild Rose Ice Skating Club
A lot of people were too young to have known firsthand about the Wild Rose Ice Skating Club of the 1940s and early 50s. On Sunday, Oct 13 at 1 p.m., everyone is invited to join the Wild Rose Historical Society to learn more about the club, view pictures, articles, posters, and costumes, and socialize with many who participated in the club.
The event will take place at the Wild Rose Community Center and include refreshments free of charge.
The club started when a group in Wild Rose started throwing around the idea of holding an ice show the younger citizens could get interested or involved in. A rink was created by flooding a vacant lot near the high school in 1945, and the Mosinee Silver Blades arrived in the area to put on a show. This drew such a huge crowd that it was thought that a bigger area may be needed.
The Silver Blades returned in 1947 for another performance with an even bigger audience, which made it clear that a bigger rink and spectator area was definitely needed.
E.L. Knoke donated the use of some land just off Main Street that summer to create a quality ice rink with the use of bulldozers, scrapes, and manpower. The Silver Blades returned to perform on the new rink in 1948. Once again, there was a large crowd present.
A 1949 skating show not only involved top figure skating champions from Wisconsin, but also the talented youth from the Wild Rose area. The spectators were estimated to be anywhere from 2,500 to 4,000.
A warming house, flood lighting, music to skate to, and rink flooding methods were improved upon so that Wild Rose Skating Club could also perform in 1950, 1951, and 1953.
To learn more, the public is welcome to attend the Sunday, Oct. 13 program at 1 p.m. at the Wild Rose Community Center.